Monday, October 4, 2010

Western Conference 2010-2011

I type this as Carolina somehow loses to a KHL team. Eesh.

Anaheim Ducks

Finish: 12th in West, 5th in Pacific

Why: Not to undermine the Ducks, but they are in a tough division. I can't see anyone sucking it up all year in this division, but I have to go with law of averages and assume this time it's Anaheim. They'll be in the hunt for a playoff spot all year, though.


Calgary Flames

Finish: 14th in West, 4th in Northwest

Why: They're counting on aging Kipruusoff and Iginla, and... Olli Jokinen again? Good thing the Oilers make them look good.


Chicago Blackhawks

Finish: 4th in West, 2nd in Central

Why: They sold their peripheral guys, mostly to Atlanta, but kept the core intact. Reminiscent of the Pens a few years ago, so I think they'll do just fine this season.


Colorado Avalanche

Finish: 6th in West, 2nd in Northwest

Why: Man, the Western Conference is so even in the middle seeds that I have no idea. Craig Anderson is awesome, Matt Duchesne is beast, and they have an all-around good squad. Don't see why they shouldn't make it into the postseason.


Columbus Blue Jackets

Finish: 13th in West, 5th in Central

Why: Too many games against very good teams. Unless Steve Mason repeats his rookie effort, he looks like the next Andrew Raycroft already.


Dallas Stars

Finish: 10th in West, 4th in Pacific

Why: No clue. Turco leaving is both good and bad. See Anaheim and Colorado.


Detroit Red Wings

Finish: 2nd in West, 1st in Central

Why: They're baaaaack. As long as Osgood plays as little as possible, Wings should win the dogfight with the Hawks for the division title. Basically, I'm banking on fewer injuries this season.


Edmonton Oilers

Finish: 15th in West, 5th in Northwest

Why: Vomit.


Los Angeles Kings

Finish: 9th in West, 3rd in Pacific

Why: Because despite being this year's chic pick for a Cup contender, they've done nothing to convince me they can become Western Conference elite. Young teams struggling with the weight of added expectations is a story known in every sport, and while I don't expect the Kings to roll over and die, I'm almost positive they miss the playoffs on the last day.


Minnesota Wild

Finish: 11th in West, 3rd in Northwest

Why: I think they're better than 4 other teams, and worse than 10. Not enough evidence to support this claim, other than they don't feel like a playoff team to me.


Nashville Predators

Finish: 7th in West, 3rd in Central

Why: I tried writing them off this season, but Shea Weber destroyed my car with a slapshot. Now I need a ride home.


Phoenix Coyotes

Finish: 5th in West, 2nd in Pacific

Why: I may have them too high here, because of Michalek's departure, but it's their system that really gives them strength. This is the one "middle mob" team I fully expect to reach the postseason, and will be very surprised if they don't. Add this to the list of things I thought I'd never say.


San Jose Sharks

Finish: 1st in West, 1st in Pacific, President's Trophy

Why: Come on. It's the Sharks. This is what they do. Loss of Blake will hurt, but we're talking regular season.


St. Louis Blues

Finish: 8th in West, 4th in Central

Why: Halak is definitely an upgrade in net, and the squad is essentially returning the same squad that finished strong last season. Should be an interesting fight with LA, Anaheim, and Dallas for that final spot.


Vancouver Canucks

Finish: 3rd in West, 1st in Northwest

Why: Like I said for the Sharks, this is the regular season. They'll have plenty of time to disappoint their fans in the postseason.


Unlike with the East, I'm almost convinced I'm way off base with these predictions. So please don't reference this in April (or December) and laugh.

- Matt

No comments: